We may be in the middle of another warm summer but depending on where you are across Australia, wet weather may be just around the corner.
There are our best tips for getting wet weather ready. By taking these few steps you can help best prepare your property and put your mind at ease.
- Clear gutters and downspouts: Make sure that gutters and downspouts are clear of debris so that water can flow freely and not cause damage to the foundation or basement.
- Check for leaks: Inspect your roof, walls, and windows for any leaks or cracks that could allow water to enter your home. Make repairs as needed.
- Install window well covers: If you have a basement, window well covers can help prevent water from entering through basement windows.
- Slope the ground away from your home: Make sure that the ground around your home slopes away from the foundation to prevent water from pooling and potentially causing damage.
- Keep sump pump in working order: Make sure that your sump pump is in good working order and test it before the rainy season to ensure it will work when you need it.
- Have sandbags ready: Sandbags can be used to divert water away from your home and can be useful in case of heavy rains or flooding.
- Keep an emergency kit ready: Have an emergency kit ready in case of power outages or other disruptions caused by wet weather.
Most importantly review your home/property insurance policy and speak to your insurance broker. Understand what sort of policy you currently have (insured events-based vs accidental damage based) as this will determine how your policy will respond. For example; will the policy cover alternative accommodation whilst we can’t occupy our property? Are there any events we aren’t insured for? Are we required to do preparation work to ensure the policy responds?
If you aren’t sure, or you aren’t sure where to start, please call our office today to discuss your requirements further.